The American Staple: Pizza is the single most frequently consumed food in America. It is a favorite amongst every family, party, and often the cause of a late night craving. Our understanding of pizza ingredients goes as such: crust, cooking oil, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- White pizza crust is made with nutrient depleted flour.
- Canola, or cooking oils, are over-boiled and can damage free radicals, as well as cause blood platelet abnormalities.
- Tomato sauce is typically made with genetically modified organisms (or GMO’s).
- Mozzarella cheese is sure to make you gain weight, and cause high blood pressure.
Let’s rewrite the story of your typical pizza. Let’s take new ingredients, keep the simplicity of the preparation, and create a gourmet meal that you wont feel guilty feeding your family.
Nature’s Highlights Brown Rice Pizza Crust
What’s great about a grain like brown rice is that it can even be used to make your pantry staples, like flour, and in this case, pizza crust. This particular brand is free of wheat, gluten and yeast.
The ingredients are simple: brown rice, potato, and sesame seeds!
The health benefits are many, including:
- weight loss maintenance
- rich in fiber and selenium, a mineral that substantially reduces the risk of colon cancer
- helps with energy production
- slows progression of stenosis and cardiovascular diseases
With a shelf life of 365 days, there’s no excuse to eat white dough!
An easily accessible, and often used ingredient, cold pressed olive oil makes your crust crispy and savory. I’ve recommended this ingredient in previous blog posts, but since it is such a commonly used cooking oil with many health benefits, it warrants added attention.
Make sure to note that olive oil:
- boosts your immune system
- fights off viruses and major diseases
- lowers blood pressure
- rich in antioxidants
- helps regulate blood sugar levels
- improves bone mineralization and calcification for the prevention of Osteoporosis.
For the family who needs a quick pizza fix and doesn’t have time to make their own organic sauce, Lucini Italia Rustic Tomato Sauce has a home made taste to satisfy any palate. With ingredients grown, packaged and imported from Tuscany, this product is a game-changer when it comes to a pre-packaged tomato sauce.
This sauce is:
- gluten free
- made with non-GMO produce
- free of BPA— a dangerous chemical that can leak into food through the packaging
There is a lot of apprehension towards goat cheese. Besides that it is absolutely delicious, it has a host of other benefits:
- boosts metabolism
- enhances brain function
- increases bone density
- has 300% more niacin and 134% more potassium than your usual cheese
- actually beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant!
- easily digested
- non-mucus forming
I like to place shaved or thinly sliced pieces on my pizza before popping it in the oven for a few minutes!
Image used via chichilicious.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove crust from package and place on baking pan. Spread a tablespoon of olive oil onto crust. Place crust in the oven for 10 minutes or until slightly crispy. Cut or shave thin slices of raw goat cheese. Once pizza crust is done, spread tomato sauce and place goat cheese on crust.
You can get creative with this part. Add any ingredients you’d like! I enjoy broccoli, mushrooms, onions or basil. Make sure all your food is fresh, and add to taste!
Place pizza back in oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove and let cool. Cut into slices, and most importantly, enjoy!